Thursday, October 06, 2005

I guess my money isnt as good as yours...

Charity is charity right?

Is it wrong for a charity to turn down money because of where its coming from? I mean as long as its legal of course?

As I was reading the paper today, I read an article about famous women heightening the awareness of breast cancer. Reading this made me remember something that happened a few years back.

About 3 years before I started dancing one of the bartenders at the club was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a radical mastectomy and soon after fully recovered.

Once I started dancing, one of the dancers mothers was diagnosed. She wasnt as lucky to recover and passed away.

Our friend was devistated, and as a way to support her and the bartender who did survive we decided to do a charity car wash.

We were sponsered by one of the top radio stations in Cleveland. We had a local car wash closing down for the day to let us use their facilities. All we needed was for the charity to acknowledge that we were doing this, for the radio station to continue with their promotions, sponsership, etc.

We continuously tried to contact them for several weeks, and we received no call back. Then finally we received a call stating that they did not want us to do this, and they wouldnt except the money that we would raise. They didnt wast to be associated with a "strip club"

I was furious! we are women, we get breast cancer too! I never understood how they could turn us down. I mean its not like we would have been doing it topless or something, we were going to wear shorts and a pink top so everyone knew what charity it was for.

Do you realize how much money could have been raised? Our location was on the corner of one of the busiest intersections, surrounded by businesses and restaurants.

I can understand if some people look down upon strippers, I admit its not the best job out there. But its legal! Why let your opinion of something get in the way of a good cause?

I will never understand why they wouldnt except us, why they couldnt see past our occupation and look at what we were trying to do...

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$> comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home