Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My honey.....

Another boring day in the office...

With a lot of people talking about their furry friends I'm gonna tell ya'll about my cat honey..

Oh, how I loved her! she was my favorite animal ever... I got her when she was 4 weeks old and for the first 3 weeks that I had her I was grounded (hey, I was only 15) so I was constantly with her. We became very close and whenever I was in the house she was either on my lap, walking next to me, or hitchin a ride on my shoulders. When I slept she was always sleeping across my neck, and she would nibble on my ears.

As she started getting older she acted like a dog.. She played fetch, she would let me take her for walks on a leash (she was an indoor cat) and she even learned a couple tricks. We were so compatible, I guess me raising her made her personality just like mine. Everyone that ever met her said that she acted and had an attitude just like mine. We were inseparable.

In the house that I lived in my mother and her bf "lived" in the basement. They had it set up like a separate apartment for themselves so me and my sister would never be bothered with them. They had one of the rooms separated my a couple blankets to keep the heat in.

One night I had just gotten home and lied down on the couch for a minute. My sister was asleep in her bedroom and her bf J was in my room on the internet along with honey. He was in my room smoking weed so he would put a wet towel under the door so the smoke/smell wouldn't fill the whole house. Unknown to him the basement had caught on fire, and on top of the normal smoke, there was an exceptional amount of more thick smoke due to the blankets catching fire. I have no idea why the smoke detectors didn't go off, they worked! Even the fire department said they weren't sure what happened.

Anyway, the whole house was filled with this thick black smoke except for my bedroom, and by this time my sister and I were both pretty much unconscious due to smoke inhalation. I guess my cat honey started flipping out. She was pretty much crying, running around, doing all she could to get J's attention. At first he just ignored her thinking that maybe she just wanted to play, but after awhile he just decided to lock her out of the room cause she was being "annoying". When he opened the door that's when he seen the smoke. It took him about 5 -10 minutes to finally get us conscious to where we were able to get out of the house. Lucky for us the fire was contained in the basement.

That was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. Waking up and not being able to see anything except smoke. I remember hearing J trying to wake up my sister R and her not understanding.. all she kept saying was I am awake over and over... But while I was hearing this I couldn't bring myself to wake up. I could hear everything going on but I couldn't move or open my eyes. Nothing felt real, it all seemed like a dream!

After the fire truck came and the fire was out, all I could think about was honey. She jumped out of the window when they busted it to spray the water... I searched and searched and I was so afraid that I wouldn't find her when all of a sudden she came running from behind the garage and just jumped into my arms. She started purring and licking the sut off of my face.

Thank god everyone was okay, but the medics said that if my sister and I would have been in the smoke for a couple more minutes we might have died from the smoke inhalation. It was scary to hear that. But to know that I lived because of honey was a great feeling, who knows what might have happened if she wouldn't have been there.

A couple years later when I was moving my new apartment wouldn't except cats. I tried so hard to find a place that would, but I ran out of time. I had to take her to a shelter ( I found a no-kill shelter). Leaving her there that day was soo hard. I had to act like she was a stray in order for them to take her, so I couldn't cry. As soon as I stepped foot out the door I remember the tears just came running down my face. Even just writing about it brings tears to my eyes now..

I love my cats now, but they will never compare to honey!

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$> comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

your post made me cry. what an awful thing you were forced to do. leaving your best friend behind. i am so sorry. i don't know what how i'd even make it through if i had to leave my cats. it's great that you found a no kill shelter. it took a lot of courage for you to give her up. she sounds like a wonderful cat. i had a cat who used to lie across my neck until she was ready to fall asleep, then she'd go sleep in her toy box. she always put all her toys back in the box after she played with them. i miss her so much.

12:10 PM  
Blogger apositivepessimist said...

honey not only saved you but everyone else. i bet she went to another deserving cat lover who loved her just like you did.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

Ahhh....what a awesome cat!
I'm sure she found a great home!!!
I got both my cats at a no-kill shelter and they are very strict on their adoption policies. I even volunteered there for awhile and that's how I ended up with 3 cats for awhile.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home