Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Cleveland Sucks!!!

For some reason I''m in an unusually good mood this morning. Probably because I am going out of town this weekend and I just cant wait to get out of this crappy city. If you''ve ever lived or traveled to Cleveland then you know what I am talking about. I remember when I was 15 and I had my fake ID; I used to go to the flats and it was incredible. There were hundreds of people every night, bars everywhere, you would walk down the street and not know what to do next because everything looked so fun. I just couldnt wait until I could be there legally. Well now that I am 21 everything is different. The East Bank of the flats is deserted. All the clubs, bars and restaurants are closed. All thats left is a strip club, two dance clubs and a restaurant/bar. Before in the summer you could dock your boat on the Cuyahoga river and go from bar to bar having fun; now if you go down the river all you see are boarded up windows and garbage. Its like a ghost town. Granted that we now have the Warehouse District, but its just not the same. Cleveland was known for the flats; noone had anything like it.
Thats not the only thing that has changed though. The neighborhoods are getting worse, drugs are becoming more popular and more and more girls are getting pregnant at a young age.
It seems like everytime I turn around more and more jobs are being lost. Just a month or two ago a large company was bought out and instead of the new owner keeping the jobs here, he let 2000-3000 people go. How are we "the poorest city in the United States" supposed to build our economy if people buy our businesses and take the jobs some place else? Look at the closing of LTV Steel. I personally knew 8 people to get laid off because of its shut down. Most of which took months or years to find new jobs. All the while their families are struggling to pay the bills and buy food.
Obviously some people dont seem to care about this struggling economy that is still trying to get back on its feet after Sept.11. Instead of helping the economy they rather waste millions on putting someone on mars. I dont see how that is going to benefit America at all. I think it might help Bush''s ego by having an American be the first person there, and that is why he is so set upon doing it. Honestly what gain will you or I get from a man on mars. The knowledge of knowing it could be done? What the hell do I need that for?

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$> comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home